How to Get Driving License

How to Get Driving License in Sydney

How to Get Driving License

How to Get Driving License in Sydney

Getting a provisional P1 and P2 License

If you’re under 25 and working towards your red Ps:

You need to record at least 120 hours of driving experience, including 20 hours of night driving.

You can choose to take a Safer Drivers Course to improve your skills (and get a bonus 20 hours in your log book).

You can choose to have structured lessons with a licensed NSW driving instructor, which allows you to record bonus hours in your logbook.

Once you’ve held your learner license for 10 months, you can book in for the Hazard Perception Test (HPT). This is first test to pass before you can get your provisional P1 license.

What is Hazard Perception Test

The Hazard Perception Test (or HPT) is a computer-based test that you need to pass before you can take the driving test and get your provisional P1 license. It measures how well you can recognise potentially dangerous situations on the road.

If you’re 25 or over, you can take the HPT when you feel ready. You do not need to have held your Ls for 10 months.

Do not feel any pressure to take the driving test before you’re ready. You can continue to practice on your learner license for as long as you need. Only take the driving test when you feel confident that you have the experience and skills to safely drive by yourself.

Your learner license is valid for 5 years. If you haven’t progressed to your red Ps after this time, you can renew your learner license. However, each time you renew, you must pass the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) and pay the test and license fees.

Restricted P1 licenses for people in remote areas

If you’re under 25 and live in a remote area, you may be eligible for a restricted P1 license. A restricted license lets you drive without a supervisor, in particular circumstances.

This type of license makes it easier for young people in remote areas to drive to health, education and work-related appointments.

See Restricted P1 license license for more.

Provisional P2 license

On your red Ps and ready to progress to a P2 license? Here’s what you need to do to get your green Ps.

Getting your P2 license

Once you’ve held your P1 license for at least 12 months, the next step is getting your P2 license (green Ps).

You’ll still have restrictions on your green Ps, but some of those restrictions will be different.

You can either

Apply for a P2 license online launch

Apply in person at a service centre launch.

Green P plates will be given to you if you are approved for your P2 license when applying in person.

To apply for your P2 license

You must:

Have held your P1 license for at least 12 months

Prove your identity

Pay the license and test fees, unless you’re eligible for a concession.

Once you pay the required fees, you’ll receive a temporary license to drive with until your new license card arrives.

Rules for provisional P2 license

Drivers on their green Ps must obey the NSW Road Rules. There are some other conditions and restrictions that apply as well.

When on your green Ps, you must:

Display the correct P plates clearly on the outside of the front and back of the vehicle. If you’re towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer

Ensure everyone in the vehicle is in a seat with a seatbelt or an approved restraint fitted.

You must not

Drive over the maximum speed limit of 100km/h

Have any alcohol in your system when you drive a vehicle

Supervise a learner driver

Use any mobile phones, including hands-free devices or loudspeaker, while driving or while your vehicle is stopped but not parked

Drive a high performance vehicle.

Failure to follow any of these rules is an offence and carries heavy penalties, including loss of license.

You must comply with these NSW rules even when you are driving interstate or overseas. You should also make yourself aware of any licensing or driving laws that another jurisdiction may apply to you as a visiting novice driver.

License offences and consequences

If you receive any demerit point suspension or suspension for a high-risk driving offence while on your P2 license, you must stay on you license for an extra 6 months for every suspension you receive.

Any period that your P2 license is suspended is not counted towards your full license.

For example, if a P2 license holder receives a demerit point suspension launch, they will have to hold their P2 license for an extra 6 months, as well as the length of the suspension period.

Demerit points

Demerit points apply to P2 drivers. Your license will be suspended or refused if you reach or exceed 7 demerit points.

Speeding offences

If you commit any speeding offence you’ll receive a minimum of 4 demerit points.

If you’re caught by police driving more than 30km/h over the speed limit, they can suspend your license immediately.

Court disqualification

If you’re disqualified from driving by a court while on your green Ps, your license will be cancelled immediately and permanently.

If you are disqualified, the time you’ve accumulated on your P2 license is forfeited. This means that when the disqualification period ends, you’ll have to apply for a new P2 license and complete the 24 months again, before you can apply for a full license.

Passenger conditions after disqualification

If your P2 license is disqualified, you won’t be allowed to drive with more than one passenger for 12 months once you regain your license. This is known as the ‘one passenger condition’.

If you are disqualified again while you have a one passenger condition, the condition will apply for another 12 months when you are issued a new P2 license.

In exceptional circumstances, you may apply for an exemption by:

Attending a service centre launch in person

Completing the P1/P2 passenger or vehicle exemption form (PDF 361.04KB)

Providing reasons why your situation is exceptional, and

Paying the application fee.

If an exemption is granted, it will be limited to specific circumstances (such as employment) and may also be limited to certain vehicles.

You must notify Transport for NSW within 14 days if any circumstances change which affect your exemption. This includes if you no longer need the exemption, or if the exemption letter needs to be replaced. A further fee may apply.

What’s next after green Ps?

Once you’ve held your provisional P2 license for at least 24 months, you can upgrade to a full driver license. This is only if you haven’t been suspended for unsafe driving.

Your P2 license is valid for 36 months. After this time your license will expire and you will have to renew it or apply for a full license.

Source: NSW.GOV.IN

No Comments

Post A Comment